
Tell others if your child is gifted? And what do you say? I share the reasons for doing this or not.
Tell you if your child is gifted?
If you just (sure) know that your child is gifted, your world is a bit on his head. Suddenly all kinds of things, perhaps even from your own youth, are clear. You're over there with the school and maybe with some people in your area. But do you tell people whether your child is gifted? And what do you say?
Keeping excitement for yourself
Let me start with our situation. For people from our area, the gift of our children was clear. But when we didactically test her (so we could determine where she is in school) we were still afraid of the outcome. Because she is so different and fast.
We always held her gift for ourselves, the report with school was already a big step. Then I wrote a blog how my daughter changed after she was able to speed up . I received very nice comments, sometimes from an unexpected angle. But my husband was upset: we would love it for ourselves?
I then told him that I do not share all ins and outs, not everything. But she is highly gifted, I do not mind sharing that. Important right!
Tell me about gift or not?
Whether or not you are talking about being gifted, either by yourself or with your child, is really your decision. The advantage is that people know more about your situation, or the disadvantage that people do not understand or think you're aware of.
Therefore, I do not use the word highly gifted, usually not. When people ask why my daughter has accelerated, I assume that she learns very easily and is a quick thinker. Often they often use the term "gifted".
At school they must know
At school, I think it's important that the team knows that my children are highly gifted. In addition, it depends on the situation or I am telling about it. I myself find it very annoying when people introduce their children with: this is Pietje, he is highly gifted. If it ends in a conversation, I'll tell you what I want to lose at that moment.
Now that my daughter is getting older, telling is also a lot more natural. The parents of neighboring children catch up on speeding up, or a neighbor indicates that my daughter is very noticeable. Then they come to me the questions they have put.
Comments
Post a Comment