
I have often been battling about the situation of invading teachers in the Netherlands. Today, I want to take a look at the teaching world of our Belgian colleagues. Why? To put a heart under the belt, because the stories I read do not lie. Working with a permanent appointment in Belgium seems a real rarity.
Job security
Okay, I know, I can not complain. I have a yearly contract with an invasion pool.
Not yet my own class for one year I would like, but I have income and (some sort of) job security for one year. A year in which I do not have to search for a job, a year in which I belong to a foundation, get training and development talks. Only downside is that in the morning I still have a phone call or computer waiting for a call. How different is it with our southern neighbors. Stories of teachers who have fallen for decades for decades without a fixed job are unfortunately no rarity.
Okay, I know, I can not complain. I have a yearly contract with an invasion pool.
Not yet my own class for one year I would like, but I have income and (some sort of) job security for one year. A year in which I do not have to search for a job, a year in which I belong to a foundation, get training and development talks. Only downside is that in the morning I still have a phone call or computer waiting for a call. How different is it with our southern neighbors. Stories of teachers who have fallen for decades for decades without a fixed job are unfortunately no rarity.
Miss Nancy
I was in conversation with Miss Nancy. An enthusiastic teacher who has been in education for 22 years. And for 22 years without permanent appointment. Every year she has to wait for her to start on September 1st. Respect for her, because at the end of last year I was at a break point with my 7 years. 22 years in which you have to wait a while for how long your summer vacation will last. Apply for schools for 22 years, which is very difficult during holidays, because those directors are also on holiday. Yes, I know, you also need it and deserve it. But what would I have done a lot for if I could have applied every vacation so that I could have a job at the start of the school year. Juf Nancy indicated that she had started for the first time since the beginning of the school year for the first time.
I was in conversation with Miss Nancy. An enthusiastic teacher who has been in education for 22 years. And for 22 years without permanent appointment. Every year she has to wait for her to start on September 1st. Respect for her, because at the end of last year I was at a break point with my 7 years. 22 years in which you have to wait a while for how long your summer vacation will last. Apply for schools for 22 years, which is very difficult during holidays, because those directors are also on holiday. Yes, I know, you also need it and deserve it. But what would I have done a lot for if I could have applied every vacation so that I could have a job at the start of the school year. Juf Nancy indicated that she had started for the first time since the beginning of the school year for the first time.
Working system Belgium
How then? Will you ask yourself. For this, it is necessary to tell you more about the work system. A system that is already very inseparable for insiders and is even more difficult for outsiders. But I will make an effort to explain to you (and see if I understood correctly).
Get a nomination at a school can only be free when it comes to hours (usually by retirement) and you are a TADD. TADD stands for temporary appointment of continuous duration.
As soon as hours are vacated within a foundation, all teachers who have reached the status of TADD-based have chosen a new teacher by the foundation. Also for replacement hours, TADD-ers apply to teachers who have not yet reached this status.
How then? Will you ask yourself. For this, it is necessary to tell you more about the work system. A system that is already very inseparable for insiders and is even more difficult for outsiders. But I will make an effort to explain to you (and see if I understood correctly).
Get a nomination at a school can only be free when it comes to hours (usually by retirement) and you are a TADD. TADD stands for temporary appointment of continuous duration.
As soon as hours are vacated within a foundation, all teachers who have reached the status of TADD-based have chosen a new teacher by the foundation. Also for replacement hours, TADD-ers apply to teachers who have not yet reached this status.
TADD ers
If you now think that a TADD is safe and always has work, you're sorry. If there are no more hours in a foundation then you will unfortunately be fired and you lost your status.
Tadd-er becomes the moment you (within 5 years) have worked 720 days in a foundation in the same job. You have several jobs, including: a gymnast, a healthcare professional (a remedial teacher), ASV teacher (special education), healthcare coordinator (a bit like the ib-here with us).
If you now think that a TADD is safe and always has work, you're sorry. If there are no more hours in a foundation then you will unfortunately be fired and you lost your status.
Tadd-er becomes the moment you (within 5 years) have worked 720 days in a foundation in the same job. You have several jobs, including: a gymnast, a healthcare professional (a remedial teacher), ASV teacher (special education), healthcare coordinator (a bit like the ib-here with us).
Just a simple calculus:
The school year has 10 school months with about 40 school weeks, in which there are 5 classes.
40 weeks x 5 days = 200 class days a year
720 class days: 200 class days = 3.6
The school year has 10 school months with about 40 school weeks, in which there are 5 classes.
40 weeks x 5 days = 200 class days a year
720 class days: 200 class days = 3.6
So, before you can be a TADD, you should work at least 3 years (and a little) full time at a school community. Bothered if you have no work on September 1st. And then you have to be careful that you work in the same function all the hours you work. If you work in the warehouse and you are going to replace it with toddlers, even if it is in the same school community, that does not count for you 720 days. Do you work for a month as a turntable and then, as a healthcare professional, you can count on from the beginning.
Long work for fixed contract
Do you already see it for you? That we say in the Netherlands, "Now work 720 days for us (in 5 years!) In the same job and then we'll see if we can find fixed hours for you." You are well aware that Belgian employers apply the same trick as the Dutch employers here with us. As soon as we join our 6th contract, we will temporarily be inactive, our Belgian colleagues, as soon as they have reached their 720 days.
The difference is that we have play in our contracts. A loose day is already counting on our nominations and in theory (the first one that I have experienced this in practice) we should already be accepted after 6 days. In permanent service!
How bad it should be if you have been doing the best for a class, school, foundation, and ultimately for more than 3 years (just before you get to your desired TADD status) you can get your stuff and have to go.
And then I do not even consider the system for obtaining a benefit, because that too is complicated and difficult to follow.
The difference is that we have play in our contracts. A loose day is already counting on our nominations and in theory (the first one that I have experienced this in practice) we should already be accepted after 6 days. In permanent service!
How bad it should be if you have been doing the best for a class, school, foundation, and ultimately for more than 3 years (just before you get to your desired TADD status) you can get your stuff and have to go.
And then I do not even consider the system for obtaining a benefit, because that too is complicated and difficult to follow.
Facebook group Teachers without job security
In order to change the situation of invading teachers in Belgium, the facebook group Teachers has been established without job security .
Among other things, they have the goals:
- That diversity in work experience is accepted and counting on achieving a TADD status
(I think it's very logical, I think managers here often find my outgoing CV. Experience gained with different audiences , makes me a richer teacher)
- Equal rights on maternity leave. Now, fixed-term people get more benefits than invading teachers. (Hmmm, equal rights could we have in the Netherlands here too)
- Type of establishment of an invasion pool. A place where young teachers can grow further in the profession and can climb to a permanent appointment.
(I'm glad that, despite the system changing in the Netherlands, we have invasion pools, which we have provided with work and opportunities for years, which I also like our colleagues!)
In order to change the situation of invading teachers in Belgium, the facebook group Teachers has been established without job security .
Among other things, they have the goals:
- That diversity in work experience is accepted and counting on achieving a TADD status
(I think it's very logical, I think managers here often find my outgoing CV. Experience gained with different audiences , makes me a richer teacher)
- Equal rights on maternity leave. Now, fixed-term people get more benefits than invading teachers. (Hmmm, equal rights could we have in the Netherlands here too)
- Type of establishment of an invasion pool. A place where young teachers can grow further in the profession and can climb to a permanent appointment.
(I'm glad that, despite the system changing in the Netherlands, we have invasion pools, which we have provided with work and opportunities for years, which I also like our colleagues!)
This group hopes to reach the Minister of Education (Mrs Crevits) and move something to change their situation. Unfortunately, it seems that the minister has not arrived very far.
That's why I can only write one more thing:
Dear Mrs. Crevits,
I understand that, as an outsider and foreigner, I have little right to speak. The Belgian work system is complicated and I did my best to understand how this works. To what I understood, it is even for the people who work in your education a complicated system, so forgive me if I interpret it incorrectly.
As I read more, heard more and talked to my Belgian colleagues, I'm very glad that I'm an invaders in the Netherlands. Agree, I do not have a permanent job (after 8 years) and here the laws and regulations regarding schooling are also becoming sharper. But what I can say is that I'm still (though it's a little bit small) at the end of the tunnel. I have good hope that in my long time I will not be able to get my very own own class.
How different is that for your invaders (excuse me for convenience, I speak in female form, but there will definitely be male invaders)? I was shocked by the stories of jokes who have been looking for a name for more than 20 years. For more than 20 years, do not know if they will start on September 1st or not. For more than 20 years, have sacrificed their vacation time to send countless letters. Invalsters who have been making miles for many years (and so away from home at home) because they can no longer work at the nearby schools. I do not know if I would keep this for 20 years, as I was playing the thought last year to do something else.
But please, Mrs Crevits, can I give you one opinion?
Please cherish these people, but those who are looking for shorter ones, because believe me, people who are 5, 10, 20 or more years of hot to come, live in insecurity, have hope and want to be very educated keep working are the teachers deserve your children! The passion they have, the conviction, the love for children, the knowledge and the craftsmanship only make your education richer.
Sincerely,
An invasion colleague from the Netherlands.
As I read more, heard more and talked to my Belgian colleagues, I'm very glad that I'm an invaders in the Netherlands. Agree, I do not have a permanent job (after 8 years) and here the laws and regulations regarding schooling are also becoming sharper. But what I can say is that I'm still (though it's a little bit small) at the end of the tunnel. I have good hope that in my long time I will not be able to get my very own own class.
How different is that for your invaders (excuse me for convenience, I speak in female form, but there will definitely be male invaders)? I was shocked by the stories of jokes who have been looking for a name for more than 20 years. For more than 20 years, do not know if they will start on September 1st or not. For more than 20 years, have sacrificed their vacation time to send countless letters. Invalsters who have been making miles for many years (and so away from home at home) because they can no longer work at the nearby schools. I do not know if I would keep this for 20 years, as I was playing the thought last year to do something else.
But please, Mrs Crevits, can I give you one opinion?
Please cherish these people, but those who are looking for shorter ones, because believe me, people who are 5, 10, 20 or more years of hot to come, live in insecurity, have hope and want to be very educated keep working are the teachers deserve your children! The passion they have, the conviction, the love for children, the knowledge and the craftsmanship only make your education richer.
Sincerely,
An invasion colleague from the Netherlands.
In a comment below, do you want our Belgian colleagues to put a heart under the belt? Because canaries, that's for sure!
Comments
Post a Comment